Today we met to work on setting up drive modes for our robot at competition, which Rachel worked on programming. To start out we had the basic type of robot driving, but we disliked some features of it, like how turning worked (moving one wheel) and also that what we wanted to be forwards was backwards. One new type of driving that we tried and really appreciate, is called arcade mode, which is a way of driving that allows us to turn by moving the controller sideways and not just up and down individually. (picture bellow) this allows us to be able to drive faster and more accurately.
We also attached the optical distance sensor to our robot, because we wanted to have sensor options when programming our mission for the autonomous round. This took a while, due to the fact that the prepared holes in the sensor were not the correct size, so we had to zip tie the sensor onto the robot. One advantage of this though, was that where we attached the sensor required us to add a plate on the front of the robot, which also works as a "pusher" to push debris on the floor out of the way. This saved us the struggle of getting debris caught in the back of the robot, and making it difficult to drive straight.
We also began our presentation for competitions today, by watching some example videos online, and gained information from there. We practiced timing of the presentation as well. While working on the presentation we did a variety of emailing, including people working at our school's stem day, about us volunteering there to show ways for kids to get involved in engineering, and expand their knowledge. We also ordered our t-shirts for competition, in order to prepare.
This blog covers details about our outreach events and other events that are important to our team, and our season.
Hi, we are the Rubies, FTC team 9890. To learn more about us, visit the "About Us" page